During the summer, Society of St. Stephen welcomes volunteers from the community on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays from 8:30-11:30 a.m. Volunteers may choose to work in the food pantry, clothing areas and/ or with special projects, such as the SOSS School Supplies Program in August. Volunteers must be 14 years of age to volunteer without a parent. Youth who are 12 and 13 years of age must be accompanied by an adult. Anyone under the age of 12 is not allowed onsite during hours of operation; special "at home service projects" may be provided for younger age children who are interested. If you have any questions regarding volunteering or Society of St. Stephen, please don't hesitate to contact Lynn Harper at 281-358-7722. Society of St. Stephen is located at 2307 Crystal Springs Drive, Kingwood, Texas 77339.
TO SIGN UP STARTING APRIL 15, GO TO THE SIGN UP GENIUS WEBSITE ADDRESS FOR SOCIETY OF ST. STEPHEN:
Society of St. Stephen
Society of St. Stephen is a 501c3 community outreach assistance ministry serving persons living in the Humble, New Caney, and Splendora school districts. Each Monday, Wednesday and Friday morning from 9 a.m. to 11:30 a.m., families are given help with food, clothing and limited financial assistance.
WHO ARE WE?
Society of St. Stephen is the oldest social service agency in the area - 33 years this November - and we are completely run by community volunteers.
WHAT DO WE DO?
- Society of St. Stephen is a community outreach agency serving people living in the Humble, New Caney and Splendora school district boundaries.
- We are 100% volunteer - we have no paid employees or positions
- We are open Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, from 9 a.m. to 11:30 a.m., or until we have served the first 36 clients. We are usually closed for school holidays, but are open in the summer.
- At no cost to our clients, we provide an average of 400 individuals each week with food and clothing, and an average of 25 families a week with limited financial assistance (primarily utilities or medication assistance).
- Clients may visit SOSS once every 30 days for food, once every 60 days for clothing, and once every 12 months for financial assistance. A typical grocery allotment includes canned vegetables, canned fruit, canned meat, rice, beans or pasta, bread, half gallon of milk, and cheese. Fresh fruits, vegetables, and personal products are given when available. We also supply diapers (as needed), laundry soap, toilet paper, and bath soap to all families.
- We have three special projects a year. Our Back to School Drive supplies over 1,000 children each year with school supplies, a $15 shoe voucher for one pair of new shoes, and new backpacks every year. For Thanksgiving and Christmas we provide over 500 food baskets for a family holiday dinner and gifts for over 1,000 children, ages 1-14.
HOW DO WE DO IT?
- We receive donations and monetary gifts from individuals, philanthropic groups, churches, schools, businesses, corporation volunteer grants, and our major fundraiser - the SOSS women’s tennis tournament - held in the spring.
- Our 150+ regular volunteers give an average of 15 hours per month of their valuable time to SOSS.
- In recent months, our disbursements for utilities and medical assistance have averaged $1,300 a week. Our food costs have averaged $678 a week which we supplement with large discounts form the Houston Food Bank and local food drives and/ or donations.
HOW CAN YOU HELP?
- DONATE! We always need gently used clothing, linens, and small household items (PLEASE - No furniture or large appliances). Please use your Kroger share card and Randall’s Good Neighbor cards designated for Society of St. Stephens.
- VOLUNTEER! We have a wide variety of places to help, working with clients or working behind the scenes, on a regular basis or on seasonal projects, and flexible scheduling from a couple of hours a month to more.
- GIVE! Financial contributions can be mailed directly to us, or designated to SOSS and dropped in the collection plate at Kingwood United Methodist Church. Society of St. Stephen is a 501c3 agency.
For more information, contact us!
Lynn Harper, Director SOSS
1799 Woodland Hills Drive
Kingwood, Texas 77339
Email: Lynn Harper.
SOSS Charity Tennis Tournament